Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

The University of Arkansas offers you a place to achieve your goals in a comfortable, friendly, and safe setting. Located in Fayetteville, AR, in the beautiful northwest corner of the state. You may hear Northwest Arkansas, as this encompasses the entire area including Fayetteville. We are now connecting over 1,545 international students from over 114 countries to success through our fully accredited academic programs leading to bachelor’s, master’s, PhD, and EdD degrees.

Bachelor degrees are considered 4 year degrees, because this is the average time for completion. Students who wish to complete their bachelor’s degree in 4 years will need to take a minimum of 15 credit hours per semester.
Time of completion will vary for transfer students and will depend upon the number of earned transferable credit hours. No more than 68 transfer credit hours of lower-level credit can be applied to a degree plan. All upper-level transferable credits can be applied to a degree plan, but a minimum of 30 upper-level credit hours must be completed on campus.
Our master’s and doctoral degrees are both considered graduate degrees. The time of completion for a master’s degree is roughly 2 years but you have up to 6 years to complete. A doctoral degree will vary in length, but will range from 4 to 7 years.
If the two years of work were in the same discipline as the bachelor’s degree you will complete here, and if the course content is similar, it will probably take you 2 to 2.5 years, but it’s hard to say for sure. We would urge you to apply as soon as you can, have official transcripts sent, and provide us with course descriptions/syllabi. As soon as the admission decision is made, an evaluation of transfer credit will be done. The evaluation will be sent to the appropriate advisor in the college of your major for further evaluation. When you arrive, you and your academic advisor will sit down and go through the evaluation together, seeing what credits you have satisfied and what credits you still must earn.
Yes — unless your native language is English (please see list of countries where English is the native language). If your native language is not English, but your schooling was in English, the  TOEFL  or  IELTS or  PTE-A is still required unless you have an earned master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution. Once you arrive to campus, you will have the option to take the English Language Placement Test (ELPT) to help you enroll in the correct English course level. If any of your scores indicate weakness in your English proficiency, English Language and Culture (ELAC) courses will be required.

All academic programs on our campus are fully accredited by their disciplines’ national accreditation organizations and many are nationally ranked.

  • The Sam M. Walton College of Business has several highly ranked programs, including:
    • The undergraduate accounting program ranked 35th among public and private universities
    • The College of Engineering is ranked 64th among all undergraduate engineering programs at national public institutions by U.S. News and World Report’s “Best Colleges of 2015” annual report.
    • The Fay Jones School of Architecture recently was ranked 19th in the nation in the annual survey of “America’s Best Architecture and Design Schools”, a study conducted by the Design Futures Council.
    • The Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural Food and Life Sciences was ranked 51st in the world and 22nd in the U.S. in the 2013 QS World University Rankings.
    • The Recreation and Sport Management program at the University of Arkansas was recently ranked 14th in the country by the 2014 Sports Management Degree Guide
    • U.S. News & World Report has ranked the Walton College supply chain specialty 13th among all undergraduate programs nationally.
    • The undergraduate business program was ranked 43rd among top public undergraduate programs and 83rdamong public and privates.
  • The Atlantic Monthly designated the university’s creative writing program as one of the top five programs of its kind in the country.
  • Other graduate programs that ranked nationally—per the U.S. News & World Report survey—are rehabilitation education and research (15th); biological engineering (16th); and industrial engineering (26th).
  • Our Law School has the only agricultural law master’s degree (LLM) program in the U.S.

The average class size is difficult to pinpoint. It depends on the class and your year in school. A science lecture could have as many as 300 students, compared to English composition that may have as little as 30 students.  As you move further along in your  program of study, class sizes tend to become smaller. The current student to faculty ratio is 19:1.

Probably not. We currently have over 1,545 international students representing over 114 countries, and we have an excellent Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) to assist you in getting comfortable on campus and making new friends. You can find information on our international community here. A thorough International Student Orientation is offered to you upon arrival to campus by ISS.

Yes, this is a safe campus, with very few crimes against persons. All public sidewalks are well lighted. The University Police Department provides police services and protection 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Your safety and security are their number one priority. Police officers are on call in the evenings to escort you wherever you need to go on campus. Residence halls are monitored 24 hours a day and guests must be accompanied by a resident of the hall at all times. Remember, Fayetteville is a city with a very low crime rate.

Our University Housing office will assist you in securing on-campus housing. Single students can find residence hall accommodations readily available in a variety of settings. Meal Plans are available to students living on or off campus.
Off Campus Connections can assist you with off campus housing options, but you must make your own arrangements. Some restrictions apply (freshman under 21 must live on campus unless special permission has been obtained from University Housing).

New incoming students cannot enroll prior to arrival. Once you arrive on campus, you will be highly encouraged to attend  International Student Orientation. During this time, you will register for your courses. Students transferring from a U.S. institution, who have contacted ISS before arrival, can enroll in courses prior to orientation.

There are over 380 Registered Student Organizations (RSO’s) and lots of campus activities offered by our Office of Student Activities to keep you connected and engaged all while staying on campus.

Application Process

We invite you to complete the online application. For additional information on completing your application, please see the appropriate web page whether you are applying as an undergraduate or graduate student.

You should apply one year before you plan to start your studies at the university. Application deadlines vary depending upon which semester you wish to apply.

Scholarship deadlines for new incoming freshman should be considered when applying.

Graduate applicants will need to contact their department of interest to find out about department application deadlines, as well as assistantship deadlines.


Please see our New Freshman page for information on admission requirements.

Please see either our Transfer student or Transfer Freshman page for information on admission requirements.

Please see our Graduate Studies page for information on our admission requirements.

To accommodate the special needs of sponsored students, we have a special office. Please direct all inquiries to:

Sponsored Students and Special Programs Office
Gearhart Hall 213
340 N. Campus Drive
1 University of Arkansas
Fayetteville AR 72701 USA
1-479-575-6857 • 1-479-575-5055 (fax)

This office will facilitate your admission process, your acclimation to campus, and act as liaison between you and your sponsoring agency. There is a management fee which will be charged to your sponsoring agency.

If you meet the academic and financial requirements for admission,  but your TOEFL or IELTS score is below our required minimum, we can offer you conditional admission through our intensive English program at Spring International Language Center (SILC). Once you have achieved the required English proficiency, you will be allowed to enroll in academic courses in the next available term.


The estimated cost of attendance for students can be found in the sections Undergraduate Studies | Funding Your Studies and Graduate Studies | Funding Your Studies.

Please add USD $5,780 to your total estimated cost of attendance for each dependent (spouse and children) who will accompany you.

The estimated cost for textbooks for undergraduate students is USD $1,200 and for graduate students it is USD $900. Textbooks can be purchased on campus at our University of Arkansas Bookstore.

Information on our scholarships can be found on the Costs and Funding page.

International students holding F-1 or J-1 visas are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week on campus only. These campus jobs are usually in residence halls or dining services and pay minimum wage. Jobs are not always available. Off campus employment is restricted by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Possibly. The Alumni Legacy Scholarship is offered to qualified undergraduate students who are children relatives of a UA Alumni, and this includes international students. Information on how to qualify and renewal can be found on the Arkansas Alumni website under Alumni Legacy Scholarship.

No. Tuition and fees are assessed after you register for your courses. 


 Fayetteville, Arkansas is a safe and beautiful city that continues to be recognized as one of the best college towns year after year. You can find additional information on Fayetteville and Northwest Arkansas here: Explore Northwest Arkansas. However, don’t just take our word for it! Check out these articles to see why Northwest Arkansas is a great place to call home.

The University of Arkansas is serviced by the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA). The International Students and Scholars website provides additional information on how to get to Fayetteville, Arkansas and campus under the heading How Am I Going To Get There. Be sure your travel agent understands that we are in Fayetteville, ARKANSAS. There is also a city named Fayetteville in the state of North Carolina.


 Information on medical records and health insurance is provided by International students and Scholars and can be found here: Pre-Arrival Information for Students.

We want you to do well and have a great American university experience and the University of Arkansas has many academic resources to help students succeed. These resources can be found here: Center for Learning and Student Success. In addition, the ISS office is readily available to assist you as well.

Razorback Transit has bus routes throughout Fayetteville and campus. The buses can be tracked using our mobile app, UARKmobile. There are grocery stores, restaurants, banks, and bookstores within walking or biking distance. The Razorback Regional Greenway provides over 60 miles of trails that go through all of Northwest Arkansas. Several restaurants deliver to campus. ISS also plan fun trips to area attractions. Many off-campus apartment complexes are on Razorback transit bus routes or bike trails.

A variety of medical services are available on campus at the Pat Walker Health Center. We also have Bold Dental Clinic for most dental needs located on campus in the Garland Parking/Retail Complex.
You can stay up-to-date with the Razorbacks by visiting our Athletic Department website and learn to call those Hogs!