Foundation for the International Exchange of Students Scholarship
The Foundation for the International Exchange of Students(FIES) was incorporated at the University of Arkansas as a non-profit organization in 1949. Since the 1949-50 academic year it has brought more than 400 students from 55 countries to study at the University. FIES support comes from the University, from contributions made by faculty and interested individuals, and from special fund-raising events.
FIES awards tuition scholarships on a competitive basis to new or returning international students. All recipients of FIES awards are selected by the FIES Scholarship Committee.
Recipients of the FIES tuition scholarships will be asked to participate in the following:
- Attend the awards reception in the spring semester to meet UA faculty and staff and fellow scholarship recipients.
- Participate in cultural events on campus such as the International Culture Team (ICT). This involves presentations in classrooms and organizations regarding your home country and personal experiences while studying in the U.S. Students who do not participate in ICT should volunteer with other cultural events on campus during the school year or submit an occasional article to the ISS Blog.
- Join the iFriend Program organized by ISS. The purpose of this pose of this program is to introduce a U.S. family and an international student to one another to exchange cultures and friendship throughout the academic year.
- At the end of the academic year, submit a brief summary of your achievements during the year. The summary may include suggestions or recommendations for future grant awards. The summary must be submitted to International Students and Scholars, 104 Holcombe Hall
To be considered for a tuition scholarship, you must submit the following:
- Completed application form (enclosed).
- Copies of all post-secondary transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation from current or former professors.
Application materials must be submitted using the form linked below no later than March 15.
- FIES will give preference to children of former FIES Scholarship recipients.
- Awards are based on academic performance, class standing (preference given to juniors/seniors), letters of recommendation, financial need, and leadership involvement.
- The scholarships are awarded for one academic year (both fall and spring semesters). Recipients will be required to pay summer tuition and fees if you enroll.
- As an undergraduate student, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each semester to receive the full scholarship.
The award is not automatically extended for a second year. You must reapply through FIES. Applicants may reapply only one time. No preference is given to previous recipients.
To apply please fill out the FIES Scholarship Application form.