International Returning Students

Returning students are former U of A graduate students who return to complete their degree after an absensce of one or more semesters.

Readmission to the Graduate School is not automatic. Students must meet each specific criteria and are also strongly encouraged to ensure that an adviser in the department/program is still available to them. Post-candidacy doctoral students who have not been enrolled in the preceding year must be acceptable by the program for readmission.

  1. Students who have been enrolled in the Graduate School within the five preceding academic years but have not enrolled in the immediately preceding semester may be readmitted if:

    1. The student has earned at least a 2.85 cumulative grade-point average on all graduate credits attempted during all previous enrollments;
    2. A new Application for Admission form (and $30 processing fee) is filed prior to the desired registration date (preferably, at least one month prior to that date);
    3. The Graduate School has received an official transcript of all course work attempted at other institutions subsequent to the previous enrollment in the University of Arkansas Graduate School;
    4. For students initially admitted Fall 2014 or after, an official standardized test score acceptable to the degree program is on file in the Graduate School; and
    5. The student’s academic status at the end of the previous enrollment was “good standing” and the student had no disciplinary conduct or academic integrity violations imposed or pending

Note: The Graduate School reserves the right to deny readmission consistent with the mission and values of the Graduate School and/or degree program.

  1. Students who have been previously admitted to and enrolled in the Graduate School but have no enrollment within the five years preceding the semester of readmission and who wish to be readmitted to pursue a graduate degree, may be considered for readmission upon a petition by the degree program to the Graduate School. Such students should contact the department/program head/director or graduate coordinator to request readmission. The department/program head/director, graduate coordinator, or major adviser of the student will petition the Director of Graduate Admissions, using the form “Request for an Exception to the Admissions Requirements of the Graduate School,” and will specify whether all of the student’s previous course work and grade points will be forfeited. (Note: Neither the degree program nor the student may petition to forfeit only some of the previous course work and grade points; rather, all or none of the course work may be forfeited.) If all of the previous course work and grade points will be forfeited, a notation on the transcript next to these courses will state: “This course may not be used for graduate credit at the University of Arkansas.” If the previous course work and grade points will not be forfeited, the student’s major adviser must petition for a time extension. Please see the Time Extension Policy.

  2. Readmission for non-degree seeking students: Non-degree-seeking students who have previously been enrolled in the Graduate School but have had a lapse in their enrollment will follow the procedures stated above, or in the policy pertaining to non-consecutive one-term admissions, whichever is most appropriate.

  3. Readmission to the Graduate School under any other circumstances will be considered and decided on an individual basis. Students interested in obtaining such readmission should contact the Graduate School.

    Students who were not enrolled in the Spring semester, but who were enrolled for the Summer session will have registration materials available for the Fall semester should they wish to continue their registration.